PET-CT (Positron Emission Tomography) is a type of nuclear medicine imaging which combines the images from a PET scan and a CT scan to display anatomy and metabolic function of the organs.PET-CT is used for early detection of abnormal metabolism and tumours. PET-Ct (Positron Emission Tomography) is an advanced technology that provides patients with better cancer care. This diagnostic imaging procedure can scan the whole body in a single exam to detect cancer cells.
PET/CT is used to diagnose various diseases, and performed to
- Cancers: diagnosing, staging, evaluating, status of reoccurrence and treatment response
- Determine if the cancer has spread in the body
- Determine if the cancer has returned after the treatment.
- Detection of cancer metastases in bones
- Heart disease: Coronary heart disease and damaged heart muscles
- Brain disorders: tumors, memory disorders, seizures, central nervous system
PET-CT scanning performs by injecting a small amount radioactive substancescalled radiotracers into a vein and process can take about an hour. Radioactive substances remains a short period of time in the body before being eliminated in the urine or stool, usually within 24 hours. The amount of radiation from a nuclear medicine imaging procedure is comparable to a X-ray scanning. Device is open so does not cause you feel claustrophobic.
What are the advantages of PET-CT?
• PET-CT can find cancer early when it is most treatable.
• PET-CT can find cancer when it has spread to other parts of the body.
• PET-CT scans are used to determine if cancer treatment is working.
• PET-CT scans can show if a cancer has returned.
• PET-CT provides images of how the body is functioning without invasive surgical procedures.
• PET-CT is safe and painless with no known side effects.
• PET-CT scan usually takes about an hour and a half to complete .
How you should prepare for PET/CT scan?
Our patinets will be asked not to eat anything for after the midnight before a whole body PET/CT scan since eating may alter the distribution of the PET tracer and can affect the quality of the result. Following instructions about eating is very important. If the instructions about eating is not followed by the patient the Pet-Ct scaning will be canceled or repeated on another day.
Our women patients should inform our doctor and technologist if there is any possibility that they are pregnant or if they are breastfeeding.
A special instructions will be given to our diabetic patients. Diabetic patients should inform our doctor if any medications they are taking and if they have any allergies, especially to contrast materials, iodine, or seafood.
My Health Turkey has decades of experience and knowledge in the health sector and has been involved and connected with the Turkey’s leading hospitals. In order to guarantee that our patients get reliable and effective medical care we are carefully selecting best doctors and top hospitals to be part of our exclusive network. Through our network hospitals we are pleased to offer to our patients, immediate access to PET-CT (Positron Emission Tomography) Scan Imaging at affordable prices.